Akoya gets his first Group 1PA race and the amazing Lady Princess becomes the first Group 1PA winner from stallion General
Text Juliette Benoit, photos Noëlle Derré
10 August 2019 – Deauville – France - Each year, in August, the Deauville-La Touques racecourse, located in the Normandy region in west of France, hosts one of the great events of the French season: two group 1PA races sponsored by the Qatar Racing Equestrian Club.
The two races were run over 2000 meters and one was reserved to three-year-old colts and fillies and the other to four-year-old and upward. The prize-money of each race was €50,000.
Doha Cup-Prix Manganate: a very attractive panel of horses
Nine runners, aged from 4 to 8 years old, were in the starting blocks including: Deryan (Mahabb ex Haboob) winner of Groups 2PA and 3PA and twice runner-up of Groups 1PA, Aoun (Mahabb ex Shumoos) winner of two Groups 3PA, Rijm (Azadi ex Kerjam) Group 1PA winner, Marid (TM Fred Texas ex Al Dahma) dual Group 1PA winner at three, Khataab (Amer ex Djelana) winner of this race in 2017 and Akoya (Muqatil Al Khalidiah ex A l’Ombre del Sol) winner of two Groups 3PA.
From the exit of the starting blocks, Aoun took the lead, followed by Akoya, Dupleix and Marid in fourth position. They stayed in those positions until the beginning of the final straight where Akoya has taken the head and Marid has gone in second place but could not join Akoya who finally crossed the finish line one neck before him. Khataab who had stayed in the second part of the group, produced an incredible turn of foot and got the third place.
Akoya wins his first group 1PA. “I thought he could be third, I hoped he took the second place, but I didn’t imagine that he could win” said Karin Van den Boss, his breeder, owner and trainer, who was very emotional.
Al Rayyan Cup-Prix Kesberoy: second start and second victory for the filly Lady Princess
Among the six three-year-old horses who were at the departure of the race, five of them were already winners of a race and some of them were placed in Group PA races. From the start of the race to the exit of the last turn, the colt Al Hazm (Al Mamun Monlau ex Al Anood) was ahead, followed by Um Taj (Al Mamun Monlau ex Dyala) in second position, Guythoun de Carrere (No Risk Al Maury ex Panita de Carrere) in third and Lady Princess (General ex Nacree Al Maury) at the fourth position.
When they entered in the final straight, the filly Lady Princess under jockey Christophe Soumillon go ahead and none could follow her. She crossed the finish line two lengths before the other filly of the race: Um Taj who was partnered to Julien Augé.
It was only the second start for the filly Lady Princess who won on debut on April at Toulouse racecourse. With this victory, she becomes the first Group 1PA winner from the stallion General (Amer ex Al Hanoof) who was dual winner of the Qatar Arabian World Cup, the most prestigious race for purebred Arabians.
Next Group 1PA races in France for the Purebred Arabian horses:
- Prix Dragon in September for four-year-old and upwards at ParisLongchamp,
- Qatar Arabian Trophies for 3-year-old (one race for colt + one race for fillies) on 4 October at Saint-Cloud (near Paris),
- Qatar Arabian Trophy des Juments (4-y-o mares only) on 5 October at ParisLongchamp, first day of the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe weekend,
- Qatar Arabian World Cup (4-y-o and upwards) on 6 October at ParisLongchamp, the day of the Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
Doha Cup – Prix Manganate (Gr.1PA)
2000m – Total prize-money: €50,000
For 4-y-o and upwards
Racing time: 2.17.4
1. Akoya (Muqatil Al Khalidiah ex A l’Ombre Del Sol by Tornado de Syrah), h 5-y-o, breeder: Karin Van Den Bos, owner: Landgoed Waterland, trainer: Karin Van Den Bos, jockey: Theo Bachelot
2. Marid (TM Fred Texas ex Al Dahma by Amer), c 4-y-o, breeder & owner: Sh. Abdullah bin Khalifa Al Thani, trainer: Antoine de Watrigant, jockey: Olivier Peslier, neck
3. Khataab (Amer x Djelana by Al Sakbe), h 7-y-o, breeder: Alban de Mieulle, owner: Al Shaqab Racing, trainer: Thomas Fourcy, jockey: Jérôme Cabre, 5/4L
4. Deryan (Mahabb x Haboob by Akbar), c 4-y-o, breeder: Sh. Mansoor bin Zayed Al Nahyan, owner: YAS Horse Racing Management, trainer: Didier Guillemin, jockey: François-Xavier Bertras, head
5. Aoun (Mahabb x Shumoos by Djouras Tu), h 5-y-o, breeder: Sh. Mansoor bin Zayed Al Nahyan, owner: YAS Horse Racing Management, trainer: Antoine de Watrigant, jockey: Roberto-Carlos Montenegro, head
Al Rayyan Cup – Prix Kesberoy (Gr.1PA)
2000m – Total prize-money: €50,000
Racing time: 2.17.43
1. Lady Princess (General ex Nacree Al Maury by Kesberoy), f, breeder: Earl Champ Gignoux & Miss E. Bellaud, owner: Sheail bin Khalifa Al Kuwari, trainer: Thomas Fourcy, jockey: Christophe Soumillon
2. Um Taj (Al Mamun Monlau ex Dyala by Amer), f, breeder & owner: Al Shaqab Racing, trainer: Thomas Fourcy, jockey: Julien Augé, 2L
3. Mounjared Al Cham (Azadi ex Al Moutawakila by Al Sakbe), c, breeder: Hassan Mousli, Nada Mousalli, Faiz Al Elweet, owner: Al Shaqab Racing, trainer: Thomas Fourcy, jockey: Jérôme Cabre, 1L
4. Minstrel (Majd Al Arab ex Colette by Dormane), c, breeder & owner: Niarchos Family, trainer: Philippe Sogorb, jockey: Stéphane Pasquier, 1L
5. Al Hazm (Al Mamun Monlau ex Al Anood by Amer), c, breeder: Scea du Haras de Victot, owner: Sh. Abdullah bin Khalifa Al Thani, trainer: Didier Guillemin, 5/4L